The complete range of heating and plumbing services for Harborough, Lutterworth, Kibworth and surrounding villages
Ground Source Case Study: The Spooners from Pytchley
After two years of consideration, when Mr Spooner, an accountant from Pytchley decided to renovate his 5-bed detached family home, he knew it was the perfect opportunity to install a ground source heating pump.
Mr Spooner says: “As an accountant, saving money is a natural priority for me so I have always been intrigued by renewable ‘free’ energy. From my own research, I felt that a ground source heating pump would be best because of the continuous year-round supply of energy. I calculated that if we were to install a ground source heating pump, it would supply 100 per cent of our heating and hot water and therefore cut our total energy bill by approximately 35 per cent.
“I felt that a ground source heating pump would be best for us because of the continuous year-round supply of energy.”
“After we had a consultation with Darren King, the Renewable Energy Manager at Lewington Solar, we had made our minds up that a ground source heating pump would give us the energy and savings we were looking for.”
Aside from saving money, the Spooner family were keen to reduce their carbon footprint. Mrs Spooner says: “Wherever possible we try to reduce our impact on the environment and I think that having a renewable energy system in place is one of the easiest ways of achieving this. Once it’s installed, you can just forget about it! A ground source heating pump will save us around 5,000kg of carbon dioxide a year, which over the 20-year lifetime of the system equates to around 100,000kg!
“A ground source heating pump will save us around 5,000kg of carbon dioxide a year, which over the 20-year lifetime of the system equates to around 100,000kg!”
Darren King, Lewington’s Renewable Energy Manager, says: “The ground sourcing heating pump will provide all of the Spooners’ heating and hot water. As Mr Spooner had calculated himself, a ground source heat pump is an investment that will return excellent financial rewards. On average, the system will generate £3.20 worth of energy for every £1 of energy they pay for (known as the coefficient of performance).
As well as saving them approximately £200 a year in energy bills, because Lewington Solar is a MCS accredited installer, the system could generate as much as £700 per year from the government’s Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) scheme, which is due to start next year.
With the installation complete, Mr Spooner says: “We are very impressed with the amount of hot water we get every day. Our ground source heating system has exceeded our expectations – we have never run out of hot water. The system produces so much hot water that we actually going to add another bathroom.
“Our ground source heating system has exceeded our expectations – we have never run out of hot water.”
“We are extremely happy with the overall performance. Without a shadow doubt, we made the right decision by installing ground source heating pumps and we would absolutely recommend Lewington Solar to anyone looking for a company to design, supply and install a renewable energy system.”
Know the facts
Ground source heating pumps
- If you have more than 500 square metres of land (10 x 50 metres), then your property is suitable for ground source heating pumps.
- Ground source heating pumps provide heating and hot water all year round. This is because they are located below the earth’s surface, which stays at a consistent temperature, regardless of the season.
- For a 3-bed semi-detached house, latest figures from the Energy Saving Trust show a good-performing ground source heating pump will typically save £160 per year when replacing an oil heating system, £370 per year when replacing a solid heating system and £530 per year when replacing an electric heating system. Annual carbon dioxide reductions are 1,560kg, 5,330kg and 5,445kg respectively.
- Ground source heating pumps are extremely low maintenance and offer a life expectancy in excess of 20 years.
- Ground source heating pumps from Lewington Solar come with a 5-year warranty and don’t need any servicing or maintenance.
- The average payback period for ground source heating pumps is 9 to 11 years.
- Ground source heating pumps are subject to a reduced VAT rate of just 5 per cent.
- Installing ground source heating pumps can increase the value of your home by up to £10,000 and make it easier to sell.
- Ground source heating pumps produce enough consistent and reliable heat to act as the only heating system for your home. However, you can also use the heat pumps in conjunction with other sources of non-renewable and renewable energy.
- Planning permission is not needed, although we recommend you call your local planning office to check.
For more information on renewable energy sources and how Lewington Solar can help you lower your energy bills, visit our website at www.lewington-solar.co.uk, email email@example.com or call 01858 433 333 and ask to speak to Darren King. If you would like to speak to the Spooners directly about their ground source system, please let us know and we will arrange for you to do so.