The complete range of heating and plumbing services for Harborough, Lutterworth, Kibworth and surrounding villages
Solar thermal case study: Mr Barlow from East Carlton
After considering solar energy for more than five years, when his boiler finally broke down, Mr Barlow knew he had the ideal opportunity to take advantage of ‘free’ energy by installing a solar thermal system in his 4-bed home.
Mr Barlow explains: “As a retired electrical engineer for the army, I’ve always taken a keen interest in renewable energy. Generating ‘free’ energy using renewable sources makes sense to me as not only is it cheaper, but it is also better for the environment.”
As Mr Barlow’s old boiler was no longer useable, in addition to two 1.2 x 2 metre solar panels and a hot water cylinder, he also needed a new condensing gas boiler, taking the cost to approximately £6,500. Darren King, the Lewington’s Renewable Energy
Manager, explains, “Although ‘free’ energy and protection from rising energy prices were the biggest influencing factors behind Mr Barlow’s decision to install solar power, for him, the value of a solar thermal system is not just in the reduced energy bills.”
“I see the solar system as a good investment because even if I did decide to sell the house, the cost would be more than recuperated in the value it adds, which can be as much as £10,000.”
Mr Barlow explains, “I see the solar system as a good investment because even if I did decide to sell the house, the cost would be more than recuperated in the value it adds, which can be as much as £10,000. It is also a relatively unique selling point, which can give the house an edge over similar properties on the market.”
With the installation complete, Mr Barlow is delighted with the results, “My overall impression of the system is that it is very good; simple, reliable and economical. It’s everything a heating system should be. I hardly know it’s there and yet it gives me ‘free’ hot water. I can actually turn the gas boiler off between May and October.
“I can actually turn the gas boiler off between May and October.”
“I set about reducing my hot water energy consumption by 70 per cent and I think this target will be easily achievable. It’s also good to know that as well as reducing my energy consumption, I’m also reducing my carbon footprint.”
Mr Barlow concludes, “I am very impressed with the solar system and the service from Lewington Solar. The quality of workmanship was exceptional and the staff were very tidy and showed a refreshing cheerful optimism. I have already recommended both the solar thermal system and the Lewington team to family and friends.”
“I have already recommended both the solar thermal system and the Lewington team to family and friends.”
Know the facts
- Contrary to popular belief, solar panels are suited to the UK’s temperate climate because they absorb light and UV energy – direct sunlight is not essential.
- Solar panels enable you to save 50 to 70 per cent on your hot water bills and improve your home’s energy efficiency.
- The life expectancy of solar panels is in excess of 20 years.
- Solar panels from Lewington Solar come with a 5-year warranty and don’t need any servicing or maintenance.
- Greater demand for solar energy has reduced manufacturing costs, making solar panels more affordable than ever. Prices now typically start from just £3,400 and the average payback period is 8 to 10 years.
- Solar panels are subject to a reduced VAT rate of just 5 per cent.
- Solar panels can increase the value of your home by up to £10,000 and make it easier to sell.
- Solar panels reduce the strain on your main heating system, which helps to prolong its life and reduces servicing costs.
- Planning permission is generally not needed, although we recommend you call your local planning office to check.
For more information on renewable energy sources and how Lewington Solar can help you lower your energy bills, visit our website at www.lewington-solar.co.uk, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01858 433 333 and ask to speak to Darren King. If you would like to speak to Mr Barlow directly about his solar thermal system, please let us know and we will arrange for you to do so.