The complete range of heating and plumbing services for Harborough, Lutterworth, Kibworth and surrounding villages
Solar Thermal Case Study: The Andersons from Great Glen
When the Andersons decided to renovate and extend their 1960s bungalow, upgrading their heating system and installing solar panels was on the top of their list.
Mr Anderson explains: “Solar panels have been at the back of our minds for the past five years. When we finally decided to press ahead with a complete renovation and three-bed extension, we knew we had the perfect opportunity to finally install the renewable energy heating system we had always wanted.
“We knew we had the perfect opportunity to finally install the renewable energy heating system that we had always wanted.”
“The main priority for us was to reduce our gas consumption, or at least try to prevent our energy bills going up – even though we would effectively be adding three extra bedrooms. In addition to the solar panels therefore, we also asked Lewington Heating and Gas to install a new and efficient central heating system.
“Darren King, Lewington’s Renewable Energy Manager, lead the installation. Two 1.2 x 2 metre solar panels were fitted to the south-facing side of the bungalow, along with a new cylinder to store the hot water and a new Worcester Bosch condensing gas boiler. The total cost was £9,800.”
With the installation now complete, the Andersons are delighted with the results. “We have more than doubled the number of bedrooms in our home but our gas bills have stayed the same,” says Mr Anderson. “We have also estimated that from 2012 the solar system will earn us between £150 and £300 per year from the government’s Feed-in Tariff, because Lewington Solar is an MCS accredited installer for solar thermal.
“We have estimated we will earn between £150 and £300 per year from the government’s Feed-in Tariff because Lewington Solar is an MCS accredited installer for solar thermal.”
“We are really pleased with the two new systems and the fact that we now get free hot water all through the summer. Given the performance of the system, reducing our annual hot water energy consumption by 70 per cent should be easily achievable. We are also very happy with the service from Lewington Solar – their workmanship was excellent and we are constantly recommending both their services and solar energy to family and friends.”
“We are very happy with the service from Lewington Solar – their workmanship was excellent and we are constantly recommending both their services and solar energy to family and friends.”
Darren King adds: “Besides saving and earning the Andersons money, the solar panels will also reduce the strain on the new gas boiler, which will increase its life span and save even more money in the long-run.”
Know the facts
- Contrary to popular belief, solar panels are suited to the UK’s temperate climate because they absorb light and UV energy – direct sunlight is not essential.
- Solar panels enable you to save 50 to 70 per cent on your hot water bills and improve your home’s energy efficiency.
- The life expectancy of solar panels is in excess of 20 years.
- Solar panels from Lewington Solar come with a 5-year warranty and need little servicing/maintenance.
- Greater demand for solar energy has reduced manufacturing costs, making solar panels more affordable than ever. Prices now typically start from just £3,400 and the average payback period is 8 to 10 years.
- Solar panels are subject to a reduced VAT rate of just 5 per cent.
- Solar panels can increase the value of your home by up to £10,000 and make it easier to sell.
- Solar panels reduce the strain on your main heating system, which helps to prolong its life and reduces servicing costs.
- Planning permission is generally not needed, although we recommend you call your local planning office to check.
For more information on renewable energy sources and how Lewington Solar can help you lower your energy bills, visit our website at www.lewington-solar.co.uk, email email@example.com or call 01858 433 333 and ask to speak to Darren King.
If you would like to speak to the Andersons directly about their solar thermal system, please let us know and we will arrange for you to do so.