The complete range of heating and plumbing services for Harborough, Lutterworth, Kibworth and surrounding villages
Solar PV Case Study
Mrs Bowditch from Market Harborough
With her husband and herself working in the construction industry, Mrs Bowditch was more than aware of the benefits of solar PV. She decided that after assisting so many clients with their solar installations, it was about time they invested in solar too.
Mrs Bowditch explains: “Because of our jobs, my husband and I are very familiar with solar and we’ve always known that it would be the ideal renewable energy option for our home. Energy costs are rising and although I don’t think it’s an immediate threat, the scares around energy security have made us want to me more independent when it comes to our energy.
“We also feel that the returns from the government’s Feed-in Tariff are very generous. We calculated that by installing solar PV panels we would earn £950 a year from the tariff alone, so becoming environmentally friendly is actually very financially rewarding too.
“We calculated that by installing solar PV panels we would earn £950 a year from the tariff alone.”
“My husband and I have been Lewington Heating customers for years so we put our trust into Lewington Solar to oversee the installation of our new solar system. We were particularly impressed by Darren King, Lewington’s Renewable Energy Manager, who communicated the whole process to us very well.”
Darren says: “Mrs Bowditch’s solar PV system consists of 12 panels fitted to the south-facing roof, producing an output of 2.82kwp. The total cost was less than £10,000. The solar electric panels will save between £150 and £250 per year in electricity bills and the payback time is approximately six years. Over the course of the 30-year lifetime of the solar system, Mrs Bowditch’s expected financial return is £30,000.
“Over the course of the 30-year lifetime of the solar system, Mrs Bowditch’s expected financial return is £30,000.”
With the panels now installed, Mrs Bowditch is very pleased with results. She says: “I’m impressed with how easy the installation was and even as we come into winter, I can’t fault the performance of the solar panels. I have already recommended Lewington Solar and solar electric to my friends and family!”
Know the facts
- Contrary to popular belief, solar panels are suited to the UK’s temperate climate because they absorb light and UV energy – direct sunlight is not essential.
- Solar PV panels enable you to save up to 50 per cent on your electricity bills, or more if you install a larger system.
- By installing solar PV panels you will save around 1,000kg of harmful carbon dioxide being emitted into the atmosphere every year.
- The life expectancy of solar PV panels is approximately 20 to 30 years.
- Solar panels from Lewington Solar come with a 10-year manufacturer warranty and need little servicing/maintenance.
- Greater demand for solar energy has reduced manufacturing costs, making solar panels more affordable than ever. Prices now typically start from just £7,000 and the average payback period is 6 to 9 years.
- Solar panels are subject to a reduced VAT rate of just 5 per cent.
- You do not need planning permission for solar panels, unless you live in a conservation area or a listed building.
For more information on renewable energy sources and how Lewington Solar can help you lower your energy bills, visit our website at www.lewington-solar.co.uk, email email@example.com or call 01858 433 333 and ask to speak to Darren King. If you would like to speak to Mrs Bowditch directly about her solar PV system, please let us know and we will arrange for you to do so.