The complete range of heating and plumbing services for Harborough, Lutterworth, Kibworth and surrounding villages
Solar PV Case Study
Mr Capps from East Carlton
Having had a solar hot water system installed by Lewington Solar in May 2010, Mr Capps was impressed by both the performance of solar panels and the service from Lewington. Just 18 months later, he decided to add to his investment with solar PV panels.
Mr Capps explains: “My neighbours have installed solar electric and are extremely impressed with both the amount of electricity it generates and its financial performance. Because I was so impressed with the performance of my solar thermal system, I decided to look into solar electric too.
“I was very impressed with the performance of my solar thermal system, so I decided to look into solar electric too.”
“After extensive research into solar PV panels, I decided they would complement my existing oil boiler and solar thermal system. Even though I was very impressed with the service from Lewington Solar, I wanted to make sure I was getting a competitive price so I had five companies out to give me a quote. I was delighted when Lewington once again turned out to be the most helpful and competitive. I immediately gave Darren King, the Renewable Energy Manager, the go ahead.”
Darren says: “Mr Capps’ solar PV system consists of 12 panels fitted to the south-facing roof, producing an output of 2.82kwp. The total cost was less than £10,000. The solar electric panels will save between £150 and £250 per year in electricity bills and the payback time is approximately seven years. Over 25 years, Mr Capps’ expected financial return is £31,000. Of course, this income and saving is in addition to his returns from the solar thermal system.”
Mr Capps adds: “The Feed-in Tariff alone will generate an income for us of around £980 a year. When you combine that with our solar thermal system, our expected annual income from our renewable energy is approximately £2,000.
“The Feed-in Tariff alone will generate an income for us of around £980 a year. When you combine that with our solar thermal system, our expected annual income from our renewable energy is approximately £2,000.”
“So far, I’m very pleased with the solar electric system. It’s very consistent and produces electricity even on cloudy days. I was also once again extremely satisfied with the service from Lewington Solar. Darren spent a lot of time with me explaining the different panels and answered all of my questions – he couldn’t have been more helpful. The staff that installed the system were also very knowledgeable, efficient, clean and professional.
“I have already recommended Lewington Solar and both types of solar system to five people who I know who are seriously considering renewable energy. My advice would be to do your research because as with any trade, there are cowboys out there and I know people who have been ripped off.
“My advice would be to do your research because as with any trade, there are cowboys out there and I know people who have been ripped off.”
“In hindsight, I also think it may have been better to have installed more solar PV panels and used the extra electricity to generate hot water, rather than having two solar systems. That said, I’m delighted with both systems and by how my energy bills have dramatically decreased.”
Know the facts
- Contrary to popular belief, solar panels are suited to the UK’s temperate climate because they absorb light and UV energy – direct sunlight is not essential.
- Solar PV panels enable you to save up to 50 per cent on your electricity bills, or more if you install a larger system.
- By installing solar PV panels, you will save around 1,000kg of harmful carbon dioxide being emitted into the atmosphere every year.
- The life expectancy of solar PV panels is approximately 20 to 30 years.
- Solar panels from Lewington Solar come with a 10-year manufacturer warranty and need little servicing/maintenance.
- Greater demand for solar energy has reduced manufacturing costs, making solar panels more affordable than ever. Prices now typically start from just £7,000 and the average payback period is 6 to 9 years.
- Solar panels are subject to a reduced VAT rate of just 5 per cent.
- You do not need planning permission for solar panels, unless you live in a conservation area or a listed building.
For more information on renewable energy sources and how Lewington Solar can help you lower your energy bills, visit our website at www.lewington-solar.co.uk, email email@example.com or call 01858 433 333 and ask to speak to Darren King.
If you would like to speak to Mr Capps directly about his solar PV system, please let us know and we will arrange for you to do so.