The complete range of heating and plumbing services for Harborough, Lutterworth, Kibworth and surrounding villages
Solar PV Case Study
Mr and Mrs Amos from Lutterworth
With astronomically high energy bills, Mr and Mrs Amos were fed up of a retirement tarnished by the rising cost of energy. After more than a year’s worth of research they decided to install solar PV panels at their 3-bed semi-detached home.
Mr Amos explains: “We had read a lot of good things about solar panels so when we saw an advert in the Swift Flash about Lewington Solar, we decided to visit their Worcester Bosch Display Van in the town centre.
“The staff at the Display Van were extremely helpful and thoroughly answered all our questions. In particular, we spoke to Darren King, the Renewable Energy Manager, and he gave us a great deal of his time. We were impressed with Lewington’s approach and felt confident in their services.
“We were impressed with Lewington’s approach and felt confident in their services.”
“What we particularly liked about Lewington Solar was the fact that there was no hard sell. We requested a quote but they did not put us under any pressure – they simply gave us the space to allow us to make our own decision in our own time.”
Altogether, 16 panels were fitted to two separate south-facing roofs, producing an output of 3.75kwp. The total cost was less than £12,000. The solar electric panels will save between £250 and £400 per year in electricity bills and the payback time is approximately seven years. Over 25 years, Mr and Mrs Amos’ expected financial return from the government’s Feed-in Tariff is £40,000.
“The solar electric panels will save between £250 and £400 per year in electricity bills.”
Since the solar system has been installed, Mrs Amos has been closely monitoring and recording the performance on a daily basis. She says: “The solar panels were a big investment so we want to keep track on how they are performing. We’re thoroughly pleased because so far the performance has been consistently high. Despite the fact that the panels were installed in the autumn and it has been cloudy almost every day since, they are well on course to achieve their predicted target – if not exceed it.
“Even on a cloudy wet day, the panels produce approximately 9kw, which is about the same as the average daily household consumption. And when the summer arrives, we expect this performance to be even better.
“Even on a cloudy wet day, the panels produce approximately 9kw, which is about the same as the average daily household consumption.”
“Both my husband and I are very pleased with Lewington Solar and the panels they installed for us. The employees were brilliant and extremely courteous, professional and friendly. They cleaned up after themselves and we felt extremely comfortable around them. Based on the performance to date, I would most definitely recommend solar PV to family and friends.”
Know the facts
- Contrary to popular belief, solar panels are suited to the UK’s temperate climate because they absorb light and UV energy – direct sunlight is not essential.
- Solar PV panels enable you to save up to 50 per cent on your electricity bills, or more if you install a larger system.
- By installing solar PV panels, you will save around 1,000kg of harmful carbon dioxide being emitted into the atmosphere every year.
- The life expectancy of solar PV panels is approximately 20 to 30 years.
- Solar panels from Lewington Solar come with a 10-year manufacturer warranty and need little servicing/maintenance.
- Greater demand for solar energy has reduced manufacturing costs, making solar panels more affordable than ever. Prices now typically start from just £7,000 and the average payback period is 6 to 9 years.
- Solar panels are subject to a reduced VAT rate of just 5 per cent.
- You do not need planning permission for solar panels, unless you live in a conservation area or a listed building.
For more information on renewable energy sources and how Lewington Solar can help you lower your energy bills, visit our website at www.lewington-solar.co.uk, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01858 433 333 and ask to speak to Darren King.
If you would like to speak to Mr and Mrs Amos directly about their solar PV system, please let us know and we will arrange for you to do so.