The complete range of heating and plumbing services for Harborough, Lutterworth, Kibworth and surrounding villages
Solar Thermal Case Study: Mrs Pocock from Rutland
With oil reaching record high prices, Mrs Pocock decided to protect her family against future price increases by investing in a solar thermal system for her large four-bed, three bathroom home.
Mrs Pocock explains: “We have a large home and with the way oil prices have been shooting up recently, we decided it’s simply not economical to rely entirely on an oil central heating system. I’ve also always been keen to use renewable energy as I believe in using our natural resources rather than burning non-renewable sources.
“With the way oil prices have been shooting up recently, we decided it’s simply not economical to rely entirely on an oil central heating system.”
“After some research and consideration I decided I wanted a solar thermal system and contacted Lewington Solar to arrange a consultation. Darren King, the Renewable Energy Manager, came out and was very helpful; he answered all my questions and explained how the system would work.”
At a total cost of £4,200, Darren identified that Mrs Pocock would require two 1.2 x 2 metre solar panels and a hot water cylinder. Darren says: “A system of this size will generate at least 70 per cent of the household’s hot water, saving Mrs Pocock approximately £125 a year. On top of the fuel savings, because Lewington Solar is accredited by MCS, from 2012 the system should also generate an income of between £150 and £300 a year from the government’s renewable heat incentive (RHI) scheme.
“A system of this size will generate at least 70 per cent of the household’s hot water, saving Mrs Pocock approximately £125 a year.”
With the installation now complete, Mrs Pocock is extremely happy with her new renewable energy system. She says, “I couldn’t be more satisfied. It’s fantastic having a tank full of hot water for nothing and between April and October in particular the hot water is fantastic. We’ve noticed a dramatic reduction in our oil consumption and are expecting to reduce our oil bills by at least 20 per cent.
“We’ve noticed a dramatic reduction in our oil consumption and are expecting to reduce our oil bills by at least 20 per cent.”
“As well as being very satisfied with the solar system, I was also very impressed with the quality of workmanship and service from the staff at Lewington Solar. At all times they were very clean and there was never a mess left behind. They were also very efficient and friendly, and comfortable with us being in the house while they were working. I have already recommended both the solar thermal system and Lewington Solar to my family and friends.”
Know the facts
- Contrary to popular belief, solar panels are suited to the UK’s temperate climate because they absorb light and UV energy – direct sunlight is not essential.
- Solar panels enable you to save 50 to 70 per cent on your hot water bills and improve your home’s energy efficiency.
- The life expectancy of solar panels is in excess of 20 years.
- Solar panels from Lewington Solar come with a 5-year warranty and don’t need any servicing or maintenance.
- Greater demand for solar energy has reduced manufacturing costs, making solar panels more affordable than ever. Prices now typically start from just £3,400 and the average payback period is 8 to 10 years.
- Solar panels are subject to a reduced VAT rate of just 5 per cent.
- Solar panels can increase the value of your home by up to £10,000 and make it easier to sell.
- Solar panels reduce the strain on your main heating system, which helps to prolong its life and reduces servicing costs.
- Planning permission is generally not needed, although we recommend you call your local planning office to check.
For more information on renewable energy sources and how Lewington Solar can help you lower your energy bills, visit our website at www.lewington-solar.co.uk, email email@example.com or call 01858 433 333 and ask to speak to Darren King. If you would like to speak to Mrs Pocock directly about her solar thermal system, please let us know and we will arrange for you to do so.