The complete range of heating and plumbing services for Harborough, Lutterworth, Kibworth and surrounding villages
Ground Source Case Study: Mr Williams from Braybrooke
As the owner of Wooden House Farm Kennels in Braybrooke, Mr Williams wanted an energy efficient heating solution that would make the business more efficient to run and deliver long-term savings.
Mr Williams explains: “Heating is a major expense for the kennels so when I first learnt about the benefits of ground source heating about two years ago, I knew it could be the answer to reducing our overheads and running the business more efficiently. Earlier this year I then discovered that the government’s Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) scheme would launch in 2012 and mean that the ground source system would actually earn us money too. It was at this point, combined with the fact that the kennels were moving into a new-build premises, that I decided that I couldn’t afford to overlook the benefits of ground source heating.
“Heating is a major expense for the kennels so when I first learnt about the benefits of ground source heating about two years ago, I knew it could be the answer to reducing overheads and running the business more efficiently.”
“My friend had already recommended Lewington Solar to me, so I arranged an appointment with Darren King, the Renewable Energy Manager. As well as a ground source heating system, I also wanted underfloor heating throughout the premises. Darren explained that this would work perfectly with the ground source heating, and that I’d need one heat pump, two 240-metre ground loops buried 1.2 metres deep and a hot water cylinder, taking the total cost, including the underfloor heating and installation, to £18,500.
Darren says: “Because Mr Williams was moving to a new-build premises, the timing for a ground source and underfloor heating system for the kennels was perfect. New-builds are particularly suited to ground source because they are very well insulated, so the low but constant supply of heat the system produces doesn’t disappear though the floors, walls and ceilings.”
The ground source heating system will provide all of Mr Williams’ heating and hot water, saving approximately £250 a year in energy bills and costing 30-50 per cent less to run than an oil or LPG boiler equivalent. From 2012, it will also generate the additional income Mr Williams was looking for – as much as £700 per year from the government’s RHI scheme. On average, the system will deliver £3.20 worth of energy for every £1 of energy they pay for (known as the coefficient of performance).
“The ground source heating pump will provide all of Mr Williams’ heating and hot water, saving approximately £250 a year in energy bills and costing 30-50 per cent less to run than an oil or LPG boiler equivalent.”
With the installation complete, Mr Williams says: “It’s great knowing the kennels are heated by renewable energy and it’s also proving to be a real selling point for our customers. Although it is too early to see any changes to our energy bills, I would definitely recommend Lewington Solar and ground source heating to friends and family. The service I received from Lewington was very positive: friendly, efficient and tidy with a high standard of workmanship.
“The service I received from Lewington was very positive: friendly, efficient and tidy with a high standard of workmanship.”
Know the facts
Ground source heating pumps
- If you have more than 500 square metres of land (10 x 50 metres), then your property is suitable for ground source heating pumps.
- Ground source heating pumps provide heating and hot water all year round. This is because they are located below the earth’s surface, which stays at a consistent temperature, regardless of the season.
- For a 3-bed semi-detached house, latest figures from the Energy Saving Trust show a good-performing ground source heating pump will typically save £160 per year when replacing an oil heating system, £370 per year when replacing a solid heating system and £530 per year when replacing an electric heating system. Annual carbon dioxide reductions are 1,560kg, 5,330kg and 5,445kg respectively.
- Ground source heating pumps are extremely low maintenance and offer a life expectancy in excess of 20 years.
- Ground source heating pumps from Lewington Solar come with a 5-year warranty and don’t need any servicing or maintenance.
- The average payback period for ground source heating pumps is 9 to 11 years.
- Ground source heating pumps are subject to a reduced VAT rate of just 5 per cent.
- Installing ground source heating pumps can increase the value of your home by up to £10,000 and make it easier to sell.
- Ground source heating pumps produce enough consistent and reliable heat to act as the only heating system for your home. The heat pumps however can also be used in conjunction with other sources of non-renewable and renewable energy.
- Planning permission is not needed, although we recommend you call your local planning office to check.
For more information on renewable energy sources and how Lewington Solar can help you lower your energy bills, visit our website at www.lewington-solar.co.uk, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01858 433 333 and ask to speak to Darren King. If you would like to speak to Mr Williams directly about his ground source system, please let us know and we will arrange for you to do so.