The complete range of heating and plumbing services for Harborough, Lutterworth, Kibworth and surrounding villages
Solar Thermal Case Study: Mr Silverman from Billesdon
Fed up with rising energy costs, Mr Silverman, a retired doctor from Billesdon decided the time had come to invest in a solar thermal system in his 19th century four-bed home.
Mr Silverman explains: “I had been considering solar energy for the last three years. I’ve always wanted to generate ‘free’ hot water using ‘clean’ energy so after the umpteenth rise in energy prices, I couldn’t resist the temptation anymore.
“After the umpteenth rise in energy prices, I couldn’t resist the temptation anymore.”
“Lewington Solar came out and assessed my home. They answered all of my questions and recommended two 1.2 x 2 metre solar panels and a twin-coiled hot water cylinder at a total cost including installation of £4,000. I also paid an additional £800 to have the panels flush with the slates. This was important to me because the house is 19th century and has a very traditional feel about it – I didn’t want the panels to look out of place.
Darren King, Lewington’s Renewable Energy Manager, explains, “A system of this size will reduce Mr Silverman’s annual hot water consumption by approximately 70 per cent, saving around £150 a year in energy bills.”
“A system of this size will reduce Mr Silverman’s annual hot water consumption by approximately 70 per cent, saving around £155 a year in energy bills.”
With the installation complete, Mr Silverman is delighted with the results, “I’m very happy with the solar system. I particularly like the way that the solar panels are flush with the slates of the house. I also like knowing that we’re helping the environment by reducing our consumption of non-renewable energy sources. It feels very rewarding to be eco-friendly!
“I particularly like the fact that the solar panels are flush with the slates of the house.”
“Overall the solar system is very efficient and neat, we hardly know it’s there! The service from Lewington Solar was equally impressive and I’ve actually already recommended Lewington Solar and the solar system to friends and family.”
Know the facts
- Contrary to popular belief, solar panels are suited to the UK’s temperate climate because they absorb light and UV energy – direct sunlight is not essential.
- Solar panels enable you to save 50 to 70 per cent on your hot water bills and improve your home’s energy efficiency.
- The life expectancy of solar panels is in excess of 20 years.
- Solar panels from Lewington Solar come with a 5-year warranty and don’t need any servicing or maintenance.
- Greater demand for solar energy has reduced manufacturing costs, making solar panels more affordable than ever. Prices now typically start from just £3,400 and the average payback period is 8 to 10 years.
- Solar panels are subject to a reduced VAT rate of just 5 per cent.
- Solar panels can increase the value of your home by up to £10,000 and make it easier to sell.
- Solar panels reduce the strain on your main heating system, which helps to prolong its life and reduces servicing costs.
- Planning permission is generally not needed, although we recommend you call your local planning office to check.
For more information on renewable energy sources and how Lewington Solar can help you lower your energy bills, visit our website at www.lewington-solar.co.uk, email email@example.com or call 01858 433 333 and ask to speak to Darren King. If you would like to speak to Mr Silverman directly about his solar thermal system, please let us know and we will arrange for you to do so.