The complete range of heating and plumbing services for Harborough, Lutterworth, Kibworth and surrounding villages
Ground Source Case Study: Mr Burditt from Iselip
After considering ground source heating for 18 months, when Mr Burditt, owner of the local Welland Valley Timber, decided to extend his home, he knew he had the perfect opportunity and reason to tap into a natural and renewable energy source.
Mr Burditt explains: “I’ve always been a fan of renewable energy and particularly ground source because of the continuous heat it generates. When we decided to extend our home with an additional bedroom and bathroom, I knew there wouldn’t be a better time to install a ground source heating pump.
“When we decided to extend our home with an additional bedroom and bathroom, I knew there wouldn’t be a better time to install a ground source heating pump.”
“Lewington Solar come out to discuss the pump with us and do feasibility checks. They also explained in detail the financial investment we would need to make and the corresponding returns and savings. I was very happy with the way the consultation went – it confirmed everything I already vaguely knew about ground source pumps and it made up my mind that Lewington Solar was the installer for us.”
It cost £12,500 for Lewington Solar to install Mr Burditt’s ground source heating system. This price included the heat pump, one 300-metre ground loop buried 1.2 metres deep, one 180-litre hot water cylinder and underfloor heating. The entire job took 11 days to complete.
Darren King, Lewington’s Renewable Energy Manager, says: “With the new extension, Mr Burditt’s home is now partially a new-build and therefore very well insulated. Good insulation makes the house particularly suitable for ground source heating because the pumps operate most efficiently at low but consistent temperatures. With good insulation, you can be sure all the heat stays in.”
The ground source heating pump will provide all of Mr Burditt’s hot water and heat the new extension. It will also generate excellent financial rewards. On average, the system will give £3.20 worth of energy for every £1 of energy they pay for (known as the coefficient of performance).
“On average, the system will give £3.20 worth of energy for every £1 of energy they pay for (known as the coefficient of performance).”
As well as saving them approximately £150 a year in energy bills, because Lewington Solar is a MCS accredited installer, the system could generate as much as £700 per year from the government’s Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) scheme, which is due to start in 2012.
With the installation complete, Mr Burditt says: “I am really happy with the system – it is everything I had hoped it would be. And it’s even quieter than I had imagined – I don’t even know it’s there.
“The underfloor heating is a real luxury and makes the house warm and comfortable. It’s also good to know that we are saving money every day, and that all of our hot water and the majority of our heating comes from a renewable source.
“The underfloor heating is a real luxury and makes the house warm and comfortable.”
“I was also extremely satisfied with the service from Lewington Solar. The staff were professional, friendly and always on time. I would definitely recommend ground source heating pumps and would recommend Lewington install it.”
Know the facts
Ground source heating pumps
- If you have more than 500 square metres of land (10 x 50 metres), then your property is suitable for ground source heating pumps.
- Ground source heating pumps provide heating and hot water all year round. This is because they are located below the earth’s surface, which stays at a consistent temperature, regardless of the season.
- For a 3-bed semi-detached house, latest figures from the Energy Saving Trust show a good-performing ground source heating pump will typically save £160 per year when replacing an oil heating system, £370 per year when replacing a solid heating system and £530 per year when replacing an electric heating system. Annual carbon dioxide reductions are 1,560kg, 5,330kg and 5,445kg respectively.
- Ground source heating pumps are extremely low maintenance and offer a life expectancy in excess of 20 years.
- Ground source heating pumps from Lewington Solar come with a 5-year warranty and don’t need any servicing or maintenance.
- The average payback period for ground source heating pumps is 9 to 11 years.
- Ground source heating pumps are subject to a reduced VAT rate of just 5 per cent.
- Installing ground source heating pumps can increase the value of your home by up to £10,000 and make it easier to sell.
- Ground source heating pumps produce enough consistent and reliable heat to act as the only heating system for your home. The heat pumps however can also be used in conjunction with other sources of non-renewable and renewable energy.
- Planning permission is not needed, although we recommend you call your local planning office to check.
For more information on renewable energy sources and how Lewington Solar can help you lower your energy bills, visit our website at www.lewington-solar.co.uk, email email@example.com or call 01858 433 333 and ask to speak to Darren King. If you would like to speak to Mr Burditt directly about his ground source system, please let us know and we will arrange for you to do so.