The complete range of heating and plumbing services for Harborough, Lutterworth, Kibworth and surrounding villages
Ground Source Case Study: Boss Stone Masonry
When Boss Stone’s client requested ground source heating pumps and an extensive underfloor heating system for their 6-bed detached new build home, the Rutland-based masonry brought in the expertise of Lewington Solar.
Mr Taylor, Managing Director of Boss Stone explains: “Our client wanted a renewable energy heating system for their large new build property, which stands in four acres of land. We recommended Lewington Solar because we knew they had the expertise to deliver to their high expectations.”
“We recommended Lewington Solar because we knew they had the expertise to deliver to our client’s high expectations.”
After a consultation with Darren King, Lewington’s Renewable Energy Manager, it was confirmed that the client wanted a renewable energy solution that would supply year-round central heating and hot water, and underfloor heating for the entire house, which in addition to six bedrooms, included three bathrooms.
Darren said: “To supply enough heating and hot water for this large house, we identified that two ground source heat pumps and two hot water cylinders would be required. More than 2,000 metres of underfloor heating pipe work would also be needed, along with a 900 metre ground loop buried one metre deep.
“The project was one of the largest domestic renewable energy installations we’ve done to date. It took eight weeks to complete but the client was thrilled with the result. Going forward, for every £1 of energy they pay for, they’ll receive £3 worth of energy and at some times of the year, this can even reach £5 (known as the coefficient of performance).
“Plus, because Lewington Solar is a MCS accredited installer, next year the ground source system will be eligible for the government’s Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) scheme, which we estimate will provide an income of £1,100 per year. When you consider that the life expectancy of ground source heat pumps is in excess of 20 years and that the client will save approximately £250 a year in energy bills by using renewable energy, you can see how the system offers a fantastic investment and a valuable source of tax-free income.
“Next year the system will be eligible for the government’s Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) scheme, which we estimate will provide an income of £1,100 per year.”
“With the house being a new build, it was also perfect timing for a ground source heating pump because is it easier to do the groundwork and ensure the house is adequately insulated. A well-insulated house is particularly important with ground source heating pumps because it will help keep in the continuous heat that the pumps produce.
Mrs Taylor, who owns the property was impressed with the service from Lewington Solar. She says: “I wanted the house to be as energy efficient as possible and I’m proud to have achieved that with the large ground source heating system from Lewington Solar. I love the fact the house is run off renewable energy and will have low running costs. I’m also looking forward to the expected financial returns, which should begin next year.
“I would most definitely recommend Lewington Solar to anyone considering renewable energy for their home – the service was extremely reliable and their standard of work was exceptional.”
“I love the fact the house is run off renewable energy and will have low running costs.”
Know the facts
Ground source heating pumps
- If you have more than 500 square metres of land (10 x 50 metres), then your property is suitable for ground source heating pumps.
- Ground source heating pumps provide heating and hot water all year round. This is because they are located below the earth’s surface, which stays at a consistent temperature, regardless of the season.
- For a 3-bed semi-detached house, latest figures from the Energy Saving Trust show a good-performing ground source heating pump will typically save £160 per year when replacing an oil heating system, £370 per year when replacing a solid heating system and £530 per year when replacing an electric heating system. Annual carbon dioxide reductions are 1,560kg, 5,330kg and 5,445kg respectively.
- Ground source heating pumps are extremely low maintenance and offer a life expectancy in excess of 20 years.
- Ground source heating pumps from Lewington Solar come with a 5-year warranty and don’t need any servicing or maintenance.
- The average payback period for ground source heating pumps is 9 to 11 years.
- Ground source heating pumps are subject to a reduced VAT rate of just 5 per cent.
- Installing ground source heating pumps can increase the value of your home by up to £10,000 and make it easier to sell.
- Ground source heating pumps produce enough consistent and reliable heat to act as the only heating system for your home. However, you can also use the heat pumps in conjunction with other sources of non-renewable and renewable energy.
- Planning permission is not needed, although we recommend you call your local planning office to check.
For more information on renewable energy sources and how Lewington Solar can help you lower your energy bills, visit our website at www.lewington-solar.co.uk, email email@example.com or call 01858 433 333 and ask to speak to Darren King. If you would like to speak to Mrs Taylor or Boss Stone directly about the ground source heating system, please let us know and we will arrange for you to do so.